Beans and yam porridge is a one pot dish which has the essential classes of food such as protein, carbohydrate, fat and oil.
It is a delicious staple food enjoyed across every region in Nigeria. Beans and yam porridge is easy to make and very nutritious.
You could add any other ingredients such as vegetable or fish to it but it usually tastes better when it’s cooked plain and served with cabbage and fried fish.
• Prep Time: 30 minutes
• Cook Time: Over an hour
• Misc: Serve hot
• Recipe Type: Main Dish
Ingredients For Nigerian Beans and Yam Porridge
• 3 cups Beans
• 4 slices white Yam
• 1 medium sized red onion
• ½ cup ground crayfish
• 1 tbsp powdered chili pepper
• 2 seasoning cubes
• Salt to taste
• 1 cup Palm oil
Directions For Nigerian Beans and Yam Porridge
• Pick the beans properly. This is done to separate the unwanted particles such as stones and chaff from the beans. Pour the beans into a medium sized pot.
• Add water just enough to cover the beans in the pot then cover and cook on medium heat. Don’t add salt or anything else to prevent the beans from hardening.
• Leave to cook for about 45 minutes. While the beans cooks, cut 4 slices of yam and peel the skin off. Rinse the yam slices then chop into smaller chunks. Set this aside.
• Now drain the beans and rinse very well. Put the rinsed beans back into the pot and add enough water to cover it. Then cover and let it boil.
• When it starts boiling, add the chunks of yam, the salt to taste, pepper, seasoning cubes, chopped onion, crayfish and palm oil. Cover the pot and leave to cook for about 30 more minutes.
• Open the pot, stir the beans and yam together, then turn off the burner. Serve with tomato stew, cabbage and fried fish.
What do you think about this song?
We want to hear from you all.
Drop your comments